History of First Christian Church in Conroe.

First Christian Church was organized in September 1933 and began meeting in a tent. Our first building was on Frazier Street. Read history below! 

first church under a tentChurch 2 for poster  Church 3 for poster

         groundbreaking6   Cross trees





First Christian Church

A long-time tradition of worship and service in Conroe

Organized in September 1933

First Christian Church, Conroe, was organized in September 1933, when the first congregational meeting was held in a tent on the corner of West Davis and San Jacinto Street under the leadership of W.H. Marler.

Building and Growing

After several months the Church moved to its first permanent location, near the corner of Lewis and Thompson Streets and remained there for five years. Then, in 1938, a tract of land at 510 West Davis Street was donated to the Church. A house of worship was built there, near the current location of the First Interstate Motor Bank, (which is now Walgreens) and meetings were held for the next twenty-six years.

Growth continued, and again larger facilities were needed. In January 1960, the search was on to locate a new Church home. A five acre tract was acquired at the northwest corner of North Frazier and Cartwright Road (now Loop 336) in May 1962. This move showed a great sense of vision and courage because at that time, Cartwright Road was only a dusty path. Today Cartwright Road is Loop 336 and that site is one of the busiest spots in Montgomery County.

A new Church was built there and dedicated on November 17, 1963. Ten years later, growth again demanded new space and a major building addition was dedicated on August 19, 1973. Twenty-one years later, a Feasibility Committee was named to assess future Church needs, as the congregation had once again outgrown its facilities.

The decision was made to move on and get ready for more growth. The property was sold in April 1984 and a 5.7 acre site on Loop 336 West was purchased. Ground breaking ceremonies took place on May 15, 1985, and construction began. The congregation moved into the completed Family Center on December 29, 1985. Construction continued through August 1986, until the congregation worshiped in its new sanctuary for the first time on Sunday, August 17, 1986.

Celebration of the 75th Anniversary of the founding of First Christian Church, which was scheduled for September 21, 2008, was postponed due to the conditions following Hurricane Ike. It was February 8, 2009, when First Christian Church celebrated 76 years of missions and ministry in Conroe, Texas.


Organization and Structure

In its organization and structure, First Christian Church reflects democratic and practical considerations rather than ecclesiastical. Since each congregation of the Christian Churches is self-governing, First Christian Church, Conroe, functions freely and effectively with no outside interference or control. Church administration is unified in an elected board and is carried out as a ministry-based church.